Thursday 14 August 2014

How to Make Iced Rooibos Tea - ultimate home recipe

Just thought I would share with you my recipe of how to make a healthy, moreish and refreshing pitcher of Rooibos Tea. 

Rooibos is well-known for its health benefits, in fact I have already done a post on its benefits (read more here) (or here). And not only is it good for you and naturally caffeine-free but it is also super tasty and refreshing. 

Anyway here's how I make my iced Rooibos.

Ingredients:
  • 2 Rooibos teabags (I recommend Tick-Tock brand as a personal fav.)
  • 1.2 litres of fresh water (I use mineral water as we can't drink the tap water here)
  • 4 Teaspoons of sugar or honey
  • 1 or 2 flavour enhancers from this list:   
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or even better a stick of fresh cinnamon*
  •  zest and juice of 1 lemon or orange*





Directions:

Plop your sugar, teabags and cold water in a large pot on the stove. Add your flavour enhancer (cinnamon is my favourite).

Set the flame to high for five minutes, then turn to low for a further 3-5 minutes. Stir occasionally to infuse all the flavours and melt the sugar/honey.

Do not let the water boil but it should get very hot!

Once 7-10 minutes is up (remember not to let it get to boiling point) turn the heat off but leave the pot on the stove with teabags still in for 30mins or so to come back down to room temperature. 


After that, remove the teabags and any loose large ingredients and at this stage I run mine through a fine sieve to get out the most of the cinnamon grains although you can just leave them in and not drink the dregs which I often do when lazy!
Decant the tea into a bottle it and pop it in the fridge until nice and cold. Serve over a handful of ice blocks to really enjoy!

YUM!

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions of how else to spice up the iced tea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment